Finally, the big reveal of the hard work I've been doing for the past week and a half!
First, a before photo of our plain brown living room:
I was reaaallly tired of the brown and desperately wanted to freshen up the room.
Inspiration found itself on Pinterest through a strange recurrence of striped rooms that continued to catch my attention....
After! - definitely after a lot of work and cold beer!
I used two complimenting shades of gray from the same paint palette for my stripes.
I started with painting the lighter colour on the two striped walls before painting the solid walls - just to give it some time to cure before taping the stripes. The solid walls are of the darker shade of gray.
Taping straight lines proved to be a challenge. We first tried with a measuring tape and a level, but the lines kept ending up crooked. I looked into renting a laser level, but it was very expensive, so I took some advice from my local hardware store and purchased a chalk liner for $7.99 instead. What a smart idea! You definitely need two people to do the job, but it ended up going fairly quickly and made perfectly straight chalk lines on the wall, which I used as a guide for taping. I used high quality painting tape (both Frog Tape and 3M Blue Tape - both worked perfectly) to prevent bleeding.
I wanted to have 9 stripes on the wall - 5 darker and 4 lighter so that the darker stripe was at the bottom and the top of the wall. Basically, I measured the wall and divided by 9 to get the measurement I needed for each stripe width. I've seen people do different things with stripe widths, such as having the lighter stripe narrower than the dark. It's all up to your own preference!
Watch this how-to video for everything you need to know about painting horizontal stripes - we did and it was a lifesaver!
I picked up some new accessories for the living room as well -
The bent glass console table is from EQ3
Large floral artwork, green lamp, wire basket (among many other things I already had!) are from HomeSense
I absolutely love my new living space!
No comments :
Post a Comment