I used to have a lavender plant in my childhood garden that my mom let me have full planting control over. I always loved how it looked and smelled--it is a most perfect purple colour and the plant itself has slightly blueish leaves.
This year I planted two new lavender plants into my front border for the very same reasons. With the plants being in full bloom right now I harvested the lavender blooms so that I can dry the stems to keep the lovely scent around me longer.
I harvested a small bunch from my two plants...not bad for it being the first year! I should get more in the coming years. I tied the stems together and hung them to dry in my basement.
What to do with your lavender once it's ready?

Centsational Girl has a fantastic post on her blog about making these adorably cheeky lavender pillows, including the 'do not disturb' free printable. I love her instructions for making the perfect lavender filling.
Design*Sponge also has a gorgeous post on a harvest field trip to lavender fields in Napa, with more great DIY ideas for using the lavender, both fresh and dried (lavender salt anyone?)
I'm going to turn my lavender into a small sachet....I don't have enough to make a pillow this year. Now to wait for it to dry!
What do you do with your lavender harvests?
No comments :
Post a Comment