Rainforest Gardens

My husband and I just spent an amazing two weeks in Belize, Central America on vacation. The heat and humidity was something to get used to for us Northern dwellers, but the lushness of the tropical rainforest was absolute heaven and home for us for our first week.

We stayed at a jungle guesthouse on the banks of the Mopan River in the village of Bullet Tree Falls, just outside of San Ignacio, the largest town in Belize's Cayo District. The lushness of the jungle was only enhanced by the sounds and smells of birds and green. It was not unusual to see a toucan fly overhead during our al fresco breakfasts, or to spot large iguanas resting in the treetops around our cabana. Even the resident cats embraced the jungle life by chasing after tiny lizards for entertainment, while both the locals and visitors sought refuge from the heat by floating on the river with tubes and a cold Belikin, the local brew.

Our guesthouse had beautiful gardens on the grounds featuring many native tropical plants and brightly coloured flowers. I loved how the gardens did not feel formal; they inter-mingled with the landscape and the buildings to create a beautiful balanced harmony and a setting of relaxation.





Some of the flowering tropical plants in the garden:





I have never had much of an urge to grow tropical plants here at home, but after spending some time in the rainforest I am thistempted to creating a lush paradise of my own somehow. One local greenhouse had tropical plants in their flyer this week featuring some beautiful hibiscus plants for indoor gardening.....so tempting! Perhaps I will mix in some canna bulbs with my outdoor garden this summer as my "fix" for a tropical garden at home.

While spending two weeks away from my garden I came home to some welcome developments. Tulips, pansies, ferns, and hostas have flourished while we were away, greeting me with their happy and strong growth. The weather was rainy and cooler while we were gone, so I did not miss too many opportunities in garden work and preparation while we were gone.

Yesterday I took my camera outside to capture my garden blooms:







It is so fulfilling to watch your garden unravel itself!

My seedlings are also thriving. I got them back from my mother-in-law yesterday, who was looking after them while we were away, and they have tripled in size since I last saw them! It won't be long before I can transfer them to their places outside.

Today is another rainy day. I think I will take another visit to the greenhouse....and maybe peruse the tropical plant department while letting all my ideas swarm in my head.

1 comment :

  1. Your pic's are amazing. Love the closeup on the fiddlehead. Ah, to be back in the tropics again. Your right,there's just something about it that you'd just love to take back home with you. Perhaps you've found that little something at the greenhouse to make your place a little memory of the awesome trip you've just experienced!

    ReplyDelete